Saturday, May 11, 2019

My Biggest Fan



Who is your biggest fan?  If you asked me…

I’d have the easiest answer: MY MOM! 

Although I had a dad in my life, my mom pretty much raised me as a single mother and she never missed a beat.  She was at every soccer game, cheerleading opportunity, dance class or recital and awards banquet (which was a lot and constant).  She was the first one to fix a scrapped knee from falling trying to keep up with playing with my brother and all of his friends in the neighborhood or she was the first to wipe the tears from a broken heart… 

When I decided to start my own business she encouraged
me to follow my dreams.  She was the first one to get a copy of my book I wrote.  When I got the crazy idea to go back to college for my Masters and graduate when I would be 40 to start a new chapter in my life, she said I can’t wait to cheer you from the stands again and see what you do with this knowledge.  No matter what the future holds, I’m sure she’ll always have a front row seat, cheering the loudest and clapping…



If you asked me WHY I started planning weddings I’d have the 2nd easiest answer: My MOM!



When I got married right out of college (pre-wedding education & experience) we attempted to do it all (see our blog post sharing this full story).  We survived is the best way to describe it… but unfortunately, she didn’t get to fully enjoy it.  Her, our family and friends busted their tails all day cooking food, setting up and cleaning they didn’t get to be guests.  The worst was that my mother missed our first dance, toasts, and cake cutting because she was the busy one behind the scenes…

Several years later I got the calling to become a wedding planner (who knew), and from that moment on I never wanted a mother to miss those important moments again.  We understand most see planners, coordinators and designers as an additional cost but realistically we tend to save lots of money, time planning and stress throughout the process and the day in general.




I remember starting to plan my second wedding (see that blog too) and she was so quick to ask “what can I do?”  My response…”nothing, just enjoy the moment and be by my side as a guest.”  I was blessed to have her there to walk me down my Caribbean aisle and love being able to see mothers relax and enjoy every magical moment that happens on wedding day.






Now, our couples and anyone that surrounds me knows my mom and I go on weekly

daughter momma date nights… usually to the movies and dinner.  I know wedding planning and life gets busy, but take one day out of the week if you can to go to dinner or see a movie with your mom.  You only get one, so take advantage of the time you do have because one day it will only be a distant memory.




Happy Mother’s Day not only to my BIGGEST FAN but to all of the mothers we’ve allowed to enjoy every magical moment and for those we’ve yet to meet….



No comments:

Post a Comment